Overview of Technology Transactions
Lawyers today needs to demonstrate a solid understanding of technology transactions so they will be better prepared to represent clients in the technology industry. Learn key concepts in technology transactions, understand the differences between hardware vs. software agreements, and master the components of development, license, distribution and professional services agreements. Practice by revising a Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) EULA Agreement based on client objectives.
Level: Basic -Foundational
This class is suitable for attorneys who have a general interest in, or are exposed to, technology transactions but have not had extensive practical experience in drafting or negotiating technology-related contracts.
*It is recommended that participants complete AltaClaro’s Essentials of Contract Drafting (or otherwise have some basic exposure to contract basics as a junior attorney) prior to taking this course.
View Course Details
What you'll learn:
- Demonstrate a solid understanding of technology transactions so they will be better positioned to represent clients in the technology industry
- Differentiate between the purpose of the various types of technology agreements commonly encountered by technology counsel
- Recognize key legal and commercial terms found in most technology agreements
- Identify key elements of software development and license agreements
- Assess common risks and negotiation challenges in technology agreements
Participants will be asked to review and propose revisions to a Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) EULA Agreement based on a set of facts relating to a hypothetical client’s goals and concerns. Participants will be asked to focus on eight specific concerns and identify and explain for each: (1) the relevant provision(s); (2)any revisions, deletions, or additions the participant would make to the identified provisions; (3) any additional information needed to fully respond; and (4) any other conforming edits or additional documents needed to ensure the client is adequately protected.
During the live review session of the course, participants will review the model answer and receive feedback on the substance of the drafting as well as practical tips for clear and concise drafting.