Overview of Commercial Loan Transactions
This course is designed to introduce students to commercial loan transactions. The course starts by defining commercial finance in general and identifying the purpose of loan transactions. It then describes the common types of loans and identifies the components of a commercial loan transaction. Subsequently, the course identifies the key documents in a commercial loan transaction and describes the role of commitment letters and term sheets. Finally, the course identifies the essential roles transactional attorneys play in commercial finance transactions.
Objectives: Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Identify the typical structures for commercial finance transactions
- Differentiate between different types of commercial loans and available sources of funds
- Recognize terminology used in commercial loan transactions
- Understand the role and type of financial covenants found in commercial loan transactions
- Review and summarize a typical commercial loan term sheet
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- What is commercial finance?
- What do we mean by commercial finance?
- Why is commercial finance important for businesses?
- Commercial finance key terms
- Common types of loans
- Term loans
- Revolving lines of credit
- Project loans
- Real estate loans
- Components of a commercial loan transaction
- Determining the type of loan
- Structuring the transaction
- Drafting the loan documentation
- Closing and refinancing of existing indebtedness
- Key documents in a commercial loan transaction
- Role of commitment letter/term sheet
- Purpose of a commitment letter and term sheet
- Interest rates
- Floors and caps on variable loan rates
- Commitment/origination fees & other out-of-pocket expenses
- Roles of transactional attorneys in commercial loan transactions
Supplemental Materials/Additional Resources:
- Sample term sheet
- Sample commitment letter
- Sample credit agreement
- Sample note
- Sample guaranty
The AltaClaro Difference
Effective Learning with ROI--Backed by Education Science
Step 1: Learn
Learn at your own pace, absorbing lessons in short, easily digested segments led by experienced practitioners.
Step 2: Do
Apply what you've learned to solve real-world client scenarios, using transaction documents derived from actual deals.
Step 3: Review
Deepen your learning in virtual review sessions with an experienced practitioner. Review model answers and ask questions.
Instructors Who Practice What They Teach
x-Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner
x-White & Case; x-Orrick
x-Baker McKenzie; x-White & Case
Global Head of Tech Transactions, Uber; x-Disney; x-O’Melveny; x-Weil Gotshal
Head of Experiential Learning, AltaClaro; x-Akin Gump; x-Clifford Chance
x-Sidley; x-Allen & Overy
x-Weil Gotshal; x-Cadwalader
x-Baker McKenzie, x-Morrison & Foerster
Partner, Waldrep Wall
Find Out More
Interested in this Class?
Our master classes are delivered in an experiential "bootcamp" framework. Students participate in small cohorts that go through the learning materials, assignments, and live review sessions together with experienced practitioner-instructors.
We serve law firms of all sizes, universities, individual professionals, and groups of professionals (in-house departments, networks, and associations). Find out more about how we can help you.