Foundations of Drafting SaaS Agreements
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Introduction to SaaS Agreements
- What Is a SaaS Agreement?
- How Do SaaS Agreements Differ in Business-to-Business (B2B) and Business-to-Consumer (B2C) Arrangements?
- The Core Sections of a SaaS Agreement
- What Are the Core Sections of a SaaS Agreement?
- What Is the Scope of Services in SaaS Agreements?
- What Are Usage Restrictions in SaaS Agreements?
- What Are Pricing and Subscription Models in SaaS Agreements?
- What Are the Costs and Benefits of Auto-Renewal Provisions?
- What Are Additional Sources of Revenue in SaaS Agreements?
- Who Owns Data and Feedback Rights in SaaS Agreements?
- Other Provisions in SaaS Agreements
- What Are Representations and Warranties in SaaS Agreements, and Why Do We Use Them?
- What Are Typical Warranties in SaaS Agreements?
- What Are Typical Indemnities in SaaS Agreements?
- How Can Each Party Limit Its Liability in SaaS Agreements?
- Terminating a SaaS Agreement
- Why Might a Subscriber Terminate a SaaS Agreement?
- Why Might a SaaS Provider Terminate a SaaS Agreement?
- What Is Included in the Effect of Termination Section in SaaS Agreements?
- Service Level Agreements in SaaS Agreements
- What Are Service Level Agreements?
- What Are the Key Performance Metrics Found in Service Level Agreements?
- Data Security and Privacy Compliance in SaaS Agreements
- What Do We Mean by Data Security and Privacy?
- How Should the Parties Approach Data Security in SaaS Agreements?
- Which Domestic Privacy Rights Are Relevant to SaaS Agreements?
- What Is the Impact of International Privacy Law on US-Based SaaS Providers?
Participants will be asked to review and propose revisions to a SaaS agreement based on a set of facts relating to a hypothetical client’s goals and concerns. Participants will be asked to focus on six specific concerns and identify and explain for each: (1) the relevant provision(s); (2) any revisions, deletions, or additions the participant would make to the identified provisions; (3) any additional information needed to fully respond; and (4) any other conforming edits or additional documents needed to ensure the client is adequately protected.
The AltaClaro Difference
Effective Learning with ROI--Backed by Education Science
Step 1: Learn
Learn at your own pace, absorbing lessons in short, easily digested segments led by experienced practitioners.
Step 2: Do
Apply what you've learned to solve real-world client scenarios, using transaction documents derived from actual deals.
Step 3: Review
Deepen your learning in virtual review sessions with an experienced practitioner. Review model answers and ask questions.
Instructors Who Practice What They Teach
x-Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner
x-White & Case; x-Orrick
x-Baker McKenzie; x-White & Case
Global Head of Tech Transactions, Uber; x-Disney; x-O’Melveny; x-Weil Gotshal
Head of Experiential Learning, AltaClaro; x-Akin Gump; x-Clifford Chance
x-Sidley; x-Allen & Overy
x-Weil Gotshal; x-Cadwalader
x-Baker McKenzie, x-Morrison & Foerster
Partner, Waldrep Wall
Find Out More
Interested in this Class?
Our master classes are delivered in an experiential "bootcamp" framework. Students participate in small cohorts that go through the learning materials, assignments, and live review sessions together with experienced practitioner-instructors.
We serve law firms of all sizes, universities, individual professionals, and groups of professionals (in-house departments, networks, and associations). Find out more about how we can help you.